How to Cure Fingernail Fungus and Make it Stay Gone
Finger nail fungus is a huge problem today, no matter who you are, what age you are and where you are located. There are more than million people are infected with this terrible disease each year in America alone.
How You Get Finger Nail Fungus
You will find that women are more susceptible to fingernail funguses when compared to men. A lot of doctors believe the reason is that women use nail polish. As nail polish in no way harms the fingernail directly, a lot of people don’t believe this. A second explanation is that the nail polish that a lot of women love to use cuts of the oxygen supply to the fingernail which in turn affects the health of the fingernail thereby paving the way for a fingernail fungus infection.
In any case the Etiology or the cause of any type of fingernail fungus is some type of fungal organisms. These fungal organisms are everywhere. Somehow they enter the skin through a cut or a scratch that occurs. However, once they get inside the fungal organisms work the way through the body till they reach the nail bed where they like to multiply and grow. Once this happens the treatment becomes very difficult.
Two Types of Fingernail Fungus Treatment Options
- Topical anti-fungal treatments
- Oral medications
Oral vs. Topical Finger Nail Fungus Treatment
If you want to use a topical treatment to cure fingernail fungus there are various anti-fungal sprays, liquids and creams available. These topical treatment anti-fungal agents are acid based chemicals. Some examples are Lamisil and Tinactin.
Oral medications, like Sporanox, are great choices as a fingernail fungus cure as they work very fast and can completely cure a fingernail. These oral medications are very powerful anti-fungal agents that kill the fungus almost instantly. Plus they are much better than topical treatments in that you have a much faster recovery. Most people find that it is much easier to just swallow a pill than to remember and find the time to spread a lotion on the problem area.
Ways to Prevent Infection
- When trimming your fingernail always be very careful.
- Do not cut the nail too short as that helps funguses enter the body easier.
- Always be careful of cuts and scrapes as they open the skin underneath which allows the fungus organism to enter and set up the infection.
- Nail biting is a very bad habit that needs to be stopped at once. When you bite your nails you end up damaging the protective layers of the nail, making it highly susceptible to a fungal infection.
- Keep the finger dry because fingernail funguses love places that are moist and warm.
- Wash the hands frequently and clean it with dry towel immediately.
- Be careful not to damage your hand while working in the garden. A way to prevent infection is to wear hand gloves while doing those types of activities.
- Never touch any type of decaying vegetation and wet soil without gloves on.
- Try to avoid common bathrooms, public swimming pools, and gyms if you tend to get this type of infection.
Etiology – The cause of the condition or infection.
Topical Treatment – Medicines that are applied over the fingernail directly.