Listerine the Miracle Cure for Toenail Fungus
To start off its important to know how toenail fungus forms, why it is a problem as well as what symptoms look like . Once we know what it is we can discuss how listerine therapy for toenail fungus works.
How it Forms
- Toenail fungus is nothing but the fungal infection of a toenail, which is also known as Onychomycosis.
- The Dermatophytes , which are the group of micro organisms that cause toe nail fungus, and they grow in the nail and feed on the Keratin. Keratin is made up material of the toe nail’s surface.
Why it is a Problem
- The Dematophytes not only lead to discoloration but also to the disfiguration of the nails.
- Usually the nails that are affected most are those of the big finger and the little finger.
- This disease can spread from one finger to the other and from one person to the other as it is extremeley contageous.
Symptoms of Toe Nail Fungus
- It may turn a brown or yellow color.
- The nail can become too thick.
- Over grown nails can occur.
- A collection of foul smelling debris forms under the affected toes.
- The nail appears brittle and it may fall off.
- Spots are noticed at the sides of the affected toe nails.
- The person will wince while wearing the shoes.
Etiology of Toe Nails Fungus
- Some people have a hereditary predisposition to this disease and that maybe one of the factors that cause a fungus infection. You need to treat the toe nail fungus immediately because of how catchy it is and painful. People with this type of infection often times find it embarrassing to walk around bare foot and have problems wearing shoes because it is so painful.
- People in general pick up this infection from swimming pools, public gyms and shower stalls etc.
- Improper drying of the toe after exercising and bathing.
- People who tend to wear tight fitting shoes may also get this infection as they damage the toe nails in the long run.
- Decreased immunity.
- Abnormal PH level of the skin.
Listerine and Toenail Fungus
There are various treatments that are available for the treatment of toe nail fungus. One method is to use listerine for toenail fungus. Listerine is a great option because of it is an antiseptic type of liquid. This liquid has a long history as a drug and was named after English scientist Joseph Lister who was revered as the father of modern antiseptics. However it was actually formulated by Doctors Lawrence and Jordon in the year 1879.
It was used for oral treatment as early as 1895. This drug was known for being the first ever over the counter drug that was sold for mouthwash in the United States . Only later was this drug was used for the treatment of toe nail fungus.
It contains Thymol, Menthol, Eucalyptol and Methyl Salicylate. They are the active ingredients of Listerine. While Ethanol is also present at a 26% w/v concentration, the purpose of Ethanol is to help dissolve the ingredients and to better improve the penetration but not if you are looking for it to destroy the fungus.
How Listerine Toe Fungus Works
When treated with Listerine to treat yellow nails the affected toe nails starts to turn into a healthy one. All you need to do is pour the Listerine into a plastic or metal vessel. The vessel you use to hold the Listerine should have a wide mouth to help accommodate your feet. Then the Listerine must be filled to a level that is just enough to cover the affected or infected toe tail.
This is a very simple way of treating Listerine toe nail fungus. You will find that this treatment is less expensive and can easily done at home. This needs to be done for about 10 -15 days before you will start to see some improvement.
Etiology of toe nail fungus- The causes of toe nail fungus
Onychomycosis- The fungal infection of the toe nail.